Jul 8, 2011

Cool Old Songs: Sophie Madeleine Edition

Hi guys! Looking for songs to play with the ukulele, I found a terrific musician. Her name is Sophie Madeleine, she's English and plays a lot of instruments, the uke among them. The coolest thing about her besides her talent and original songs, is that she has covered a lot of classic oldies, in a super fresh and inspiring way. This Old Songs ( I changed it from "Happy" to "Cool") post is dedicated to those covers. Enjoy:

Goody, Goody (another neat version of this song appeared in the first post of this series)
  "A 1936 popular song composed by Matty Malneck, with lyrics by Johnny Mercer." (Wikipedia)


Hushaby Mountain:
"A ballad by the songwriting team Robert and Richard Sherman. It appears twice in the 1968 Albert R. Broccoli motion picture Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: first as an idyllic lullaby by Caractacus Potts (Dick Van Dyke, watch) to his children; and later when the children of Vulgaria have lost all hope of salvation." (Wikipedia)

Dream a little dream of me
"Dream a Little Dream of Me" is a [1931] song with music by Fabian Andre and Wilbur Schwandt and lyrics by Gus Kahn." (Wikipedia)


If I had you
"1928 song by "Irving King" (James Campbell and Reginald Connelly) with Ted Shapiro. The romantic love song has become a mainstream jazz standard, and continues to be performed and used in movie soundtracks into the 21st century." (Wikipedia)


All I do is dream of you
"The music was written by Nacio Herb Brown, the lyrics by Arthur Freed. The song was published in 1934. It was originally written for a 1934 movie, Sadie McKee." (Wikipedia)



AND MY NEW FAVORITE...

Pure imagination 

This one is soooo sweet, it's from Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (the original, not that awful remake, of course)...



Awesome, right? Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Very cool! She is so cute and I love how she arranged the songs! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Emma, thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I really like the special vibe she adds to those famous songs, just like you: you girls own the covers you choose to sing AND have great original songs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally dig it. What great song choices too! I love all of those songs and they are fun to hear on the uke :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed each and every one of these! They're great and she's incredibly talented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clara, wonderful post! Sophie is a darling girl with a unique voice -- I'm so glad you introduced her to us. I have a real thing for "Dream a Little Dream of Me", and she did it beautifully. I also like "If I had You." They were my favorites, but she did them all very well. Did you just happen on her on Youtube, or is she a popular singer I just never head of? Marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment Robby, I'm glad you enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the feedback, Sasha, yeah, she's awesome! I wish I could sing/play like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Becky! Uhm, I was looking for ukulele stuff and one of her albums, "Love, Life and Ukulele" appeared in my results...I listened to it and it was awesome, then I found her Youtube channel and noticed she was doing a 30 day challenge covering a lot of songs, oldies among them...I think she's not VERY popular yet, but she's getting more and more attention (she totally deserves it)! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely voice she has! "Dream a Little Dream of Me" was my favorite, followed by "Goody, Goody". Thanks for sharing these with us, Clara!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...