Mar 26, 2011

The "Wait Until Dark" failed stop motion project

Like two years ago, after watching Wait Until Dark for the first time, my little brother and I decided that we wanted to try to make a stop motion video, based on one of the most creepy scenes ever. If you've watched this film, you know what I'm talking about.

So we recreated the room, printed the photographs hanging on the wall, constructed the fridge, the dishwasher, the stairs, carpets, etc. Then we try to make a decent pair of Audreys and Alan Arkins with plasticine.

When all that was ready, we started shooting frame by frame each movement of the "actors". We used a software for stop motion projects and gosh, that was really tiring. You always heard about how difficult is to work in stop motion, but you don't really get until you try it.

For example, you are finishing a take, having taken like 20 pictures, and then Audrey loses a leg or an arm. So you have to stop and reconstruct it, while the other person tries to maintain everything in order. Or the flashlights move and the take is ruined. Plus the little figures were not easy to move or keep in their positions, so we have to invent different ways to keeping them still.

After working several days, arguing a lot ("C'mon, why did you let the figure move?!?!"; "It's not my fault, plus my task is way harder than yours, you just have to click the mouse!" and "You know what, this is the last take and I'm done, I'm tired and this is taking ages...", etc) we decided to stop for a while..and then someone used our movie set (a cardboard box) to put things, squashing the stairs and the fridge, etc. So the project died.

Today I decided to upload the totally unfinished tiny clip that result from that experience. The lighting (I was in charge of the flashlights, sorry) is so awful that you barely see what's happening.

Anyway, I give you our "Wait Until Dark" failed stop motion project:




Wait Until Dark is available on Amazon.

12 comments:

  1. That was AMAZING, Clara! It's OK that you didn't finish, it sounds like a very ambitious project and I think the part you did capture looks GREAT! Thanks for sharing it, it was so fun to watch. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clara, I'm sorry you and your bro didn't finish your stop-motion WAIT UNTIL DARK scene, because I got a huge kick out of it! If you two ever try to resurrect the project, I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clara, the suspense is KILLING ME!!! You clearly need to finish this brilliant project. It IS good, and so bloody exciting!

    The one time I saw Wait Until Dark, I actually didn't see most of the end scene because the DVD I borrowed was so horribly scratched. I'm not sure I could have handled it then anyway (twas years ago) but I've always felt a little bad that I didn't go through all of the terror with Audrey. At least I did get to see the part where she was reunited with my beloved Efrem Zimbalist Jr.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stop Motion is hard to do! It takes a lot of patience and time. I think you guys did a good job! That was fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clara,
    I'm so proud of you! I know this is just the beginning of many brilliant things from you. Very inspirational and I won't even get started on how creative and passionate you are.
    Page

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think "fail" when I see this! Amazing work. The set is fantastic! I think you actually make it more entertaining by explaining why you stopped at the end. Makes me want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL. One of my favorite movies. Nice job. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gives you a whole new appreciation for Ray Harryhausen's incredible stop-motion work, doesn't it? You guys did such a good job -- how old were you when you did it? Loved your clip and your creativity! Must have been fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone, I didn't think you'd like it so much, LOL.

    Uhm, I don't think we are going to finish it, after all we lost our set and actors, and just couldn't start all over again...Plus my brother doesn't want to do it either (Becky, it was 2 years ago, so I was 22 and my bro was 15).
    And yes, totally, next time you see any stop motion work, from amateur to Harryhausen, think in how difficult is to do it.
    KC, give it a try, I'd love to see your work!
    Aww, Page, thank you!!
    Emm, why did you live poor blind Audrey alone? LOL, yeah, it was really scary. But you should see it again, including the scary parts, it's great.
    Kalli, totally, it's really hard, oh, and thanks!
    Thanks thingy, and yeah, this movie is great.
    Thank u Caroline & Dorian, you're very kind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gives you a whole new appreciation for Ray Harryhausen's incredible stop-motion work, doesn't it? You guys did such a good job -- how old were you when you did it? Loved your clip and your creativity! Must have been fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think "fail" when I see this! Amazing work. The set is fantastic! I think you actually make it more entertaining by explaining why you stopped at the end. Makes me want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL. One of my favorite movies. Nice job. : )

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...