Aug 26, 2011

If I Had to Keep 4| Guests: Hilary & Katie

This series has been blessed with the participation of bloggers I admire: first Sophie, then Becky, and now the girls from the Scarlett Olive, "a podcast devoted to classic film". Katie is from Canada and Hilary from Texas, but they have made every possible effort to give their audience an awesome podcast. They have succeed IMO: great topics, great guests, great info, great talking, great fun. And now they're starting school...in the same one :)

Let's see which are the items these girls would keep...

Since The Scarlett Olive podcast is hosted by two people, Hilary and Katie, the items discussed will be divided among them both. The first two items belong to Katie and the last two items belong to Hilary.

1. Edelweiss

One classic film related item I cannot live without is my frame of pressed edelweiss right from Switzerland.


Obviously, they remind me of one of my favourite songs featured in one of the best musicals of all time written by one of the greatest song writing teams known to the musical genre onscreen and onstage. In case I lost you in that poorly structured sentence, I am talking about the song “Edelweiss” from The Sound of Music written by Rodgers and Hammerstein. They are a great conversation piece and a beautiful token of friendship. My friend picked them for me during her exchange trip to Switzerland and painted the frame as well.

I had this hanging in my room at home before I took it with me to university where it has hung proudly in my temporary bedrooms. They represent my love for musicals, film history, beauty, and give me a sense of home during the school year. Edelweiss, edelweiss, every morning you greet me and I plan on taking you with me wherever I go so you can look happy to meet me and put a smile on my face.

2. LIFE Magazine Collection

A collection can be a singular item, right? Well, forget the rules, my LIFE magazine collection may become something that will help me live; therefore, it is something I cannot live without. My plan is to sell them in the future and make a nest egg for my retirement.


These magazines give me a chance to immerse myself in the simple daily living of an era I missed out on. It is definitely a piece of the past I cherish. Even though most of the articles in the magazines can be accessed online, the feeling of holding something tangible that writes about your favourite stars in the present tense is an incredible feeling.

Some of my magazines are precious to me – Judy Garland, Vivien Leigh, Julie Andrews, etc. – and will never be for sale. However, my multiple copies such as my five Elizabeth Taylors, four Beatles, Paul Newman, and countless Marilyn Monroes will enter the market once they gain more value. I have many more copies and stars in stock, so if you’re interested in what I have, email me at scarlettolive@gmail.com.

3. Framed Bette Davis Life Magazine

When people walk into my room, I want them to know I’m not your typical classic film fan. So, I knew I needed a poster or some representation of Bette Davis; a woman who, quite literally, changed my life. There is a particular photo of Bette Davis that I adore, and it’s from the 1939 LIFE magazine photo shoot ... here you go:


I couldn’t find a large version of it, so I decided on the next best thing: the magazine cover, framed (same hairstyle, different outfit, and sadly ... no girly nail polish). The magazine cover represents such an outstanding year in Bette Davis’ career since she had four unforgettable performances for Warner Bros. (Dark Victory, Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The Old Maid, and Juarez), along with yet another Academy Award nomination under her belt. The year itself represents a peak in Hollywood history, and I firmly believe Hollywood has not met the bar of 1939 since.


My collection would not be the same with out the distant gaze of the empowering and inspirational Bette Davis gracing my wall.


4. Gone with the Wind Blu-ray boxset

Yes, I had to include “Blu-ray” ... have you seen Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh in high-def?! It’s life changing.

First, let me tell you: I hated Gone with the Wind because I was forced to watch it in school, surrounded by preteens who cared more for passing notes than watching the actual film. Until I met Katie, this hatred was steadfast and verbal. But, one day in late 2009, she told me to look past my disagreement and “get lost in the plot”. Why I listened to her, I will never know, but it changed my point-of-view completely. A few months later, I purchased this box set with birthday money. It was the perfect investment and Gone with the Wind has quickly moved its way to the top of my list.

The boxset, itself, has much to offer: photo and archival reproductions, a sampling of the soundtrack, a book with familiar and rare photos to feast your eyes on, and much more. Oh, and the special features? To die for. Six hours of MGM history, Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh documentaries, Olivia de Havilland rambling on and on about four ruffles .. who could ask for anything more?

People who don’t enjoy Gone with the Wind say it’s a waste of time. They’re right. But, I wouldn’t want to waste my time any other way.


Thanks a million Hilary and Katie for being part of this series! You chose awesome items :) Oh, and I hope you have a great time now you're in the same school!

Guys, remember to visit The Scarlett Olive and listen to their entertaining podcasts.

PS: Want to be part of this series? Send me an e-mail at kfercovic[at]gmail[dot]com :)

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoy listening to The Scarlett Olive podcast. It's fun to see what classic film memorabilia Hilary and Katie treasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Audrey :) Yeah, the podcast is entertaining, really awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really enjoying these "If I Had to Keep 4" posts, Clara! It's fun to see all this great movie memorabilia (especially since I'm totally lacking in that department myself, lol...) and the great guest posters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say first that I LOVE the blog name The Scarlett Olive. I don't know how you came up with that, but it's so evocative! These are wonderful items. "Edelweiss" is a favorite of mine too, and the little flower is so sweet. Just proves the smallest things can be the most treasured. And Life Magazine? I am so jealous! Hilary, there is no such thing as a bad picture of Bette -- I love the one you have framed. The Blu-Ray set for GWTW is marvelous. I have always loved that movie. Do you know I have never seen a movie in Blu-Ray format? I'm going to have to catch up!

    I like this little series very much, Clara. And I forgot to mention -- you and I are both obviously Errol Flynn fanatical lovers! You always seem to have some picture of him as your banner, and I love it! I just did an article about his later years, particularly The Sun Also Rises, on my own blog. The man was a wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was awesome! I love the GWTW Blu-Ray. It's so crisp and the quality is amazing. Great collection of magazines, as well!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...