May 2, 2011

8 Classic Movies I can watch over and over...

...and I know I won't get tired of them. Ever. That means that if you visit me here in Chile there are a lot possibilities that we end watching one of these (I can be very convincing). And it's weird, because there are films that you really really love, but you wouldn't watch in every occasion. For example, I love Singin' in the Rain, but sometimes I go "Mmm, and have to watch all the musical numbers? And the whole thing with the star that doesn't have a god voice? It's OK, but not for now". Well, here are some films I can watch without over thinking:

Ben - Hur (1959) : Like many of the movies in this list, I've watched Ben Hur with my parents since I was a child. It's so cool. I mean, the classic story of revenge, perfectly done, with great performances and settings. And when you think that you just saw a great scene, a better one follows. My favorite part is, of course, the chariot race, such a terrific climax. We are all rooting for Judah and the horses are so beautiful (gosh, I'm such a serious reviewer)...and then Jesus (!!!) makes a miracle and saves Judah's mom and sister. So, yes, great film. *Patting William Wyler on the back*


An affair to remember (1957): I know that there are people who hate this movie because it's an official remake of Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer's Love affair. Official because both were directed by Leo McCarey, who decided to make an almost exact copy. But even when I like Charles Boyer a lot, I prefer Cary Grant, of course. And Deborah is one of my favorite actresses. And Cary and Deborah are great too at mixing comedy and drama. And Technicolor gives it a special atmosphere. 
And beyond comparisons, the story is so good and romantic and sad and funny at some points. And the old granny! My favorite scenes are when they meet each other in public places on the ship and everyone is staring and whispering, or this one when they plan the 6 months from now thing. Pay attention to the timing of both performers, how they cut each others lines out of emotion. Soo good.


The Searchers (1956) One of my favorite movies from John Wayne. It's so good that I even forgive the racist scenes with the Comanche woman. Another story of revenge, John Wayne looks the whole film for his niece, captured by...Scar. At the end he has to choose between his hate to Indians or little Natalie Wood. Great music, beautiful locations, Jeffrey Hunter, terrific script, memorable performance by Wayne. My favorite scene? I have a lot, but the ending is really special.  What a way to go, John Ford!


Roman Holiday (1951): This is the last movie I discovered from this list. Like two years ago. Even when it has a sad ending, the whole film is so entertaining and Audrey and Gregory give such honest performances. It has so many little memorable moments and makes you feel good. This was the tribute I made some years ago. *Patting William Wyler on the back again*


Hitchcock movies: Obviously, there are some of them I can't stand. Like The Paradine Case. But I LOVE most of Hitch's films. Some of my favorites are Rear Window, The Lady Vanishes, Rebecca, Spellbound, The Birds, Vertigo and Notorious, to name a few. Hitchcock = fun.

Yes, my Disney VHS collection :)
Disney movies: Yeah, I still watch my old VHS. I could watch them (and sing along the Spanish version of the songs) anytime. My favorite films are The Beauty and the Beast (by far), Pocahontas, The Lion King, One Hundred Dalmatians and Sleeping Beauty. Oh, I've recently discovered non-cartoons films produced by Disney, like Hayley Mills' Pollyana and The Parent Trap. Fun, fun, fun.


Gone with the wind (1939) What a movie! Magnificent! I love everything about it (although my least favorite character is Ashley Wilkes). I love even the minor characters, like Prissy (check "A day in the life of Prissy") and Belle Watling. Olivia de Havilland and Hattie McDaniel at their best (my favorite scene from them is when Hattie tells Olivia what happened with Clark after Bonnie died, while they go upstairs). Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable making history. The music by Max Steiner. Memorable scene after memorable scene. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. A classic. 


The Sound of Music (1965) I can't count how many times I've seen this movie. I saw it when the Von Trapp kids were my age, I saw it when I though Liesl was old and now I saw it and I think about the passage of time. Anyway, this movie is perfect IMO. A had a teacher who said he won't see it ever ever, because he knew it would be cheesy, but I just love it. 
The songs are perfect, the kids are perfect, Julie, Christopher & Eleanor are perfect, Vienna is perfect...You can watch it when you're sad, when you're happy, when you're bored, etc. One of my favorites scenes is when the kids are singing by themselves, very hungry and sad because Maria is gone, and then a voice joins, and it's Maria! I also love when they sing Edelweiss in the music contest (or when Christopher sings it). Oh the first scene in the mountains. And the ending. And, oh, when The Baroness is playing the most boring game ever with a ball...etc etc etc.


What are the films you can watch over and over and never get tired of?

 More lists :

10 comments:

  1. Great list! The only one I haven't seen is "The Searchers". I'll have to remedy that!

    My favorites on this list are "Roman Holiday" and "The Sound of Music".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without a shred of hesitation I say that the movie I can watch without ever getting tired of it is The Sound of Music. Also Victor/Victoria and Mary Poppins. Breakfast at Tiffany's as well. Disney movies too (I still have all of my VHS videos although I currently watch it on DVD).

    I'm sure there are more but memory fails me right now.

    Great choices, though!
    Lorena,
    burburinhodeoutrora.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todas las que has nombrado y algunas más como The Quiet man, El apartamento, El largo y cálido verano, Avanti ! Bus Stop...Breakfast at Tiffany's, Pride and Prejudice, Los puentes de Madison
    Tú a Boston y yo a California ( The parent Trap )...Descalzos por el parque..etc. Son demasiadas :-D

    Saluditos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I totally agree on Disney movies and Hitchcok movies :P There are some movies I can watch over and over again and never get tired again: The Wizard of Oz, The Thin Man, His Girl Friday, The Women, Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, The Awful Truth, The Miracle Worker, Auntie Mame... haha I know there's more, but those are ones I've seen so many times and can keep on watching them without them getting old :) Mostly comedies, as you can see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, after reading what Lorena said, I'd have to add Mary Poppins to the list, too, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I loved seeing your choices. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hola, no me canso de ver: Ben-Hur , Cuando ruge la marabunta, Jezabel, Cantando bajo la lluvia, es cierto que Gene Kelly no cantaba muy bien, pero era un fantástico bailarín, Vacaciones en Roma, Casablanca, El Halcón Maltés, Yo confieso, La costilla de Adán, La loba.
    Si sigo temo que la lista se haría demasiado larga.
    Que tengas una bonita semana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post!! The Sound of Music and the live action Disney films = YES YES YES!

    It's really odd that you made this post because back in late February I made a HUGE post about the films that I could watch over and over and never get tired of and then I never posted it (it's probably still floating around somewhere...) and then, at the beginning of April (or maybe March), I decided to just post about each of the films one at time. I only got around to doing one though. Maybe I should start posting them again. Anyway, I love your list Clara! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. A few of mine: Life With Father, The Thin Man, Rio Grande, The Thing from Another World, Shane, The Body Snatcher, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Hitchcock (The Lady Vanishes, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girls, THANK YOU all for your comments!! I couldn't answer before, I'm really sorry, let's see:

    Audrey: Yeah, you should see "The Searchers" is really classic cinema with capital letters :) Nice picks! Thanks a zillion for dropping by :)

    Lorena: Thank you! Uhm, for some reason I like Mary Poppins but I don't love it, Julie Andrews give me the creeps in some parts in that movie (oh, have you seen "Scary Mary" in youtube?). I don't know, she's weird/nice. I didn't like Victor/Victoria but I know it's classic. B@t almost made it to my list, but I prefer Roman Holiday :)
    Thanks for commenting, Lore!

    Abril: !!!!! Pensé en incluir todas las de tu lista (menos Bus Stop que no he visto y Pride and Prejudice pq la encuentro aburrida), pero me iba a quedar muy largo el post. Pero las que quedaron son las que vería en cualquier momento, a veces no me dan ganas de ver B@t, por ejemplo. Gracias por compartir títulos!!

    Desiree: Great list, I thought about them but I had to leave them out in order to make a readable post :) But really good list, thanks for sharing!

    Jennifer: Nice to see you around, thanks!!

    Lola: en serio te gusta tanto "cuando ruge la marabunta"?? Jaja. Buena lista, comparto varias de las que mencionas. Gracias, espero que haya sido una linda semana la tuya tb :)

    Sophie: Thanks and LOL. Well, now I want to read more of your posts of course. Thanks a million for visiting :)

    Caftan Woman: My favorites from your list are The Lady Vanishes, The Thin Man and Shane. I have to watch Life with father, Rio Grande, The Thing from Another World & The Body Snatcher. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...