Dec 20, 2010

12 favorite things from "It's a wonderful life" including the board game



Sally from the great blog Flying Down To Rio organized a Christmas movie blogathon, called 12 Days of Christmas movies. I wanted to review It's a wonderful life, but soon I noticed it was pointless. This is a cathartic movie that everybody has seen and loved and I couldn't possibly add something new about it. A more personal post occurred to me, so I give you my picks of 12 favorite things from the film (hope you don't mind, Sally!): 

1. A quote
I know there are like 1,000 quotable lines, but here's one of my faves. Simple and cute:

2. A song
I love this song. You can hear the Buffalo Gals sung by James Stewart and Donna Reed pressing the black button (wait until it appears above the vid) and then hear a really nice version with lyrics from Youtube:



3. A scene
Again, many great scenes. I love when Mary prepares a dinner in the house that's falling apart but she loves anyway; or when she and George do the Charleston near in the pool; or when George asks God for help, or well, all the sequence at the end when he realizes his life was so worthy...BUT, I think the next scene is really dramatic and pivotal, because it shows George's good nature (just press play to go to the chosen scene):


4. A picture from the movie:


5. A behind the scenes pic:

6. A fact:

For the scene that required Donna Reed to throw a rock into the window of the Granville House, Frank Capra hired a marksman to shoot it out for her on cue. To everyone's amazement, Donna Reed broke the window with true aim and heft without the assistance of the hired marksman! (Imdb)


7. A promo shot:

8. A gif:
tocaptureyou

9. An actor
Everyone did a superb job in this film. But this time I'm picking Bobby Anderson, who plays young George. Why? Did you see the #3 scene?



10. A movie poster



11. A related item:

It's a wonderful life - the game. This time it's not invented by me, it's the 1996 Pressman board game based on the movie. I was lucky to find it last year at the flee market. Because it was in English nobody bought it, so I got it for a very low price :) As you can see, it contains cards with questions about the movie, cards with George's family and friends plus two 8 thousand dollars cards. The board let's you "Answer one" (question), " Take a card" (from the other players' hands), "Draw any card" (from the deck), "Lose a card" (boo!), "Wait here" and gives you the possibility of getting the $8,000. When you collect one money card, 5 different family and friends cards and correctly answer a final question, you win :)


Did you know the answers from the question above? Yeah, some of them are really specific, that's why it's better if you play right after watching the movie. Interested in buying the game? It's on Ebay.  

12. A quote from the crew about the movie

urbanrecord

"(...) By the end of 1947 the film was quietly put on the shelf.
But a curious thing happened. The movie simply refused to stay on the shelf. Those who loved it loved it a lot, and they must have told others. They wouldn't let it die any more than the angel Clarence would let George Bailey die. When it began to be shown on televison, a whole new audience fell in love with it.
Today I've heard the filmed called "an American cultural phenomenon". Well, maybe so, but it seems to me there is nothing phenomenal about the movie itself. It's simply about an ordinary man who discovers that living each ordinary day honorably, with faith in God and selfless concern for others, can make for a truly wonderful life."
(James Stewart |Source)

Hope you enjoyed!

15 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute! That game sounds like fun, I want it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, Clara! Having a list like this is more fun than just doing an all-written review. I think It's A Wonderful Life might be my favorite movie ever. I love the GIF, the ending quote, and the board game (how cool is that?! I'm jealous!). Thanks for another great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked my post guys ;)

    Tom: THANK YOU!! And yes, the game is really fun :) Thank you so much for commenting ^^

    Audrey: Thank YOU for stopping by and your kind comment! I didn't know about your blog but now I'm following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. MARAVILLOSA ENTRADA y MARAVILLOSA PELICULA.

    Thank you Clara ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! And I too love the board game. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic post!!! I love it!! Brilliant way to write about such a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANK YOU, Sally! And thanks for organizing this blogathon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! This really was a fun read. And: This game!! How great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Irene. And yeah, the game is really a lot of fun! Merry Xmas & Happy Holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic post!!! I love it!! Brilliant way to write about such a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! And I too love the board game. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely tribute! That game sounds like fun, I want it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post, Clara! Having a list like this is more fun than just doing an all-written review. I think It's A Wonderful Life might be my favorite movie ever. I love the GIF, the ending quote, and the board game (how cool is that?! I'm jealous!). Thanks for another great post!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...