Nov 13, 2010

Ginger Rogers' "Alice in Wonderland"

Alice [Ginger]

I was reading Ginger, My Story and this got my attention:

In March 1944, the Walt Disney Company asked me to make a recording of the Lewis Carroll classic Alice in Wonderland for the Decca Records Personality Series. I had read this story as a youngster and it was one of my childhood favorites. I was thrilled to make this recording, and it was a rewarding experience.
The sales of this recording were excellent, and I received many nice fan letters. One letter in particular that I remember very well was from a little boy who asked me to come to his house and play. I guess I sounded as young as he. Over the years, the letters have still come in, asking if I have a copy of Alice as they want to give it to their grandchildren. (This time Decca lived up to their agreement --no under-the-table-recordings.)

But Ginger didn't count with the magic of Youtube, and now, 66 years later, you can hear her version of Alice in Wonderland, enjoy (update: the recording was taken down from Youtube, but I uploaded it for you)


Right button to "Save as..." or click to listen online: Alice in Wonderland.

7 comments:

  1. I love Alice, I love Ginger, and I love, love, love this post! Thanks for linking to the audio--I had no idea this existed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it marvelous?? After reading her book, I never thought I'd find it :) Thanks for your comment ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently this was re-issued in the early 1950s because of the development of 45 rpm records.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh this is great to hear that! Disney and Ginger in the same thing, that's very good :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh this is great to hear that! Disney and Ginger in the same thing, that's very good :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Alice, I love Ginger, and I love, love, love this post! Thanks for linking to the audio--I had no idea this existed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I entered 8th grade a very fussy English teacher made us select a poem from an anthology and recite it. I like The Village Blacksmith, by Longfellow. She humiliated me in class, "Oh, everyone memorized that in 4th grade!" To get my revenge I tried another poem "Barbra Frietchie" but I was so nervous I didn't think I could do it standing in class, but I discovered "Jabberwocky" in the book. I loved the Ginger Rogers record and could sing the entire nonsense verse so I could easily declaim it. It was a tour de force! "Okay, if you understand it," she scoffed. "I do, completely," I answered.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...