May 10, 2010

"Design for living" (1933) or love squares are complicated


Design for living (Ernst Lubitsch, 1933)
Who's in it: Gary Cooper + Fredrich March + Miriam Hopkins + Edward Everett Horton
What's about: a "love square" between a cartoonist girl, a writer, a painter, and a publicity company owner.
The good: I liked the first (interesting) and the last (funny) parts; the male leads are all great in their roles; the ending is great (I remembered "Bandits" with Cate Blanchett and Bruce Willis).
The bad:  I found everything in the middle kind of boring; it was somehow predictable and I think that Miriam Hopkins didn't show any profound emotion for any of the men during the movie, all her feelings were just in her lines not in her reactions, and this changes only just at the end. 
Should I see it?  Being a Lubitsch film I thought it would be better, I just laughed like 4 times during the movie, but the beginning and the end are worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...