Jan 14, 2012

Discussion: worst movie viewing experiences

First, I hope that title makes sense. Even when I've been writing like 2 years in English, I still don't know how to say some basic things. 

Anyway, by that title I intend to invite you to discuss/share bad experiences you had watching a film with other people. Sometime ago, I wrote a post about 10 types of annoying people to watch a movie with, well, it's a bit like that but more specific.

Here are 5 movie viewing sessions that went terribly:

>> One or more people didn't like the main actor/actress/character: The problem is that they don't keep it for themselves and every two minutes they remind it to the rest. OMG, this actress, what's her name?...Jean Arthur, oh, her voice! Why does she act that way? I've had this problem several times and it's very annoying because you can't do anything about it. The last time it happened, after 35 minutes of hearing complaints, I simply said "good night" and walked away.

>> You picked the movie and it was obviously the wrong choice: This time you're the only one to blame. 20 minutes after the movie started, everyone is doing something that is not watching the film. Really bad feeling. Plus, you don't know what to do: maybe to offer the group to change the movie? What if they don't like the new movie either? You'd definitely ruin the evening. This happened to me a few times: one I ended watching the movie by myself, another one I tried to tell people interesting facts about the film (it worked a bit) and the other we had time so I just changed the movie. The new one was awesome. 

>> After the movie ends nobody says a thing about it and they just start cleaning and putting the things away: Oh, I thought they were having a good time! - you say to yourself. It just ruins the experience in retrospective.

>> People don't like a movie you love: You had picked one of your favorites, absolutely certain that everyone would have a blast watching it, but then you notice the audience is coolly responding to it, or, worst, they make fun of it.

>> Criminals planned to ruin your movie session by entering your house: No further comments.


What about you?

8 comments:

  1. I was going to mention the time a drunk came into the movie theater with a bottle of wine and started picking fights with folks in the audience...then I read the link you posted to your worst experience. Wow, that's scary. I've got nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good one Dave :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Great post! I can relate to a lot of these things. That's one reason that I kind of like to watch movies by myself. If I don't like it, I can always turn something else on, and I don't feel like I have to please anyone else or gauge their reaction. That said, it can be really fun to watch a movie with like-minded people if it's one that you all equally love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Audrey. I agree with everything you said. Thanks a million for visiting my blog :)

      Delete
  3. I always try to get people to watch Moulin Rouge (2001) with the high hopes that they will love it as much as me. I've had many similar experiences to you--except I never offer to change the film. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kim, thanks for sharing your experiences & stopping by :) Well, I only offer to change the film when I'm bored too...and that's usually when I pick a film I haven't seen, which is very risky :)

      Delete
  4. I loved this post! I've had experiences that are a mix of your second, third, and fourth ones. Like when I tried to make my friends watch "Gone With the Wind" in hopes that somehow they would magically fall in love with classic film. They took to Facebook before the Intermission, and worse, they didn't even find Clark Gable appealing. And I felt really stupid because I was sitting there saying, "Oh, look, Atlanta's burning down!" and "Rhett told Scarlett he doesn't give a damn!", but truthfully, they didn't gave a damn, lol. :( Though I must admit, the last one on your list tops any terrible movie viewing experience I had!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had every kind of unfortunate experience imagineable with the exception of the criminals screwing things up. I think the worst was when I went to see Return Of The Jedi back in the early '80s. I really wanted to see that film. But some kid felt duty bound to recite every scrap of dialog before the film started. Even though my wife convinced me not to throttle the little stinker who obviously had far too much sugar, I felt robbed. And if there was a scene he forgot he bellowed it out for all to hear. That got him thrown out of the theatre, and put a smile on my face. But I'm still a wee bit put out because just before the kid got thrown out the usher asked me if *I* was responsible for the kid. I'm not that old ! Humph.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...