Nov 27, 2010

(Video) Poll Results: Irene Dunne is the funniest gal around...

The poll about the actresses that make you laugh the most is closed. Here's the countdown to #1, I embedded and linked funny scenes from each participant (you don't have to find the scene in the videos, I added a code to make them start in the relevant part). Enjoy:

# 11 (TIE)  Barbara Stanwyck (0%)
No votes for Miss Stanwyck? I mean, haven't you seen Christmas in Connecticut? Or this one?:



# 11 (TIE) Rita Hayworth (0%)
I couldn't find her hilarious job interview from Cover Girl, but she's really funny in this clip:



#10 (TIE) Paulette Goddard (4%)
I haven't seen many movies from her, plus there are not many videos with her scenes on Youtube and the ones available like the catfight from The Women can't be embedded, so I chose a tribute to her films with Charlie Chaplin:


#10 (TIE) Marlene Dietrich (4%)
 I couldn't find any clip from The lady is willing in which she's simply hilarious. I'm embedding a scene from Golden Earrings:



#9 (TIE) Claudette Colbert (6%)
I thought Claudette would get more votes, after all she was in one of the most famous comedies ever, It happened one night. I love most of her comedies with Fred MacMurray & Ray Milland. In the next scene from Arise, My love she pretends to be Ray's wife to save his life:


#9 (TIE) Marion Davies (6%)
You know my opinion about her terrific skills for comedy. So I'll just leave you with a clip from The Patsy:


#8 Una Merkel (8%)
It was a great and positive surprise to see Una getting so many votes. Youtube doesn't do her justice, there aren't many clips from her. I uploaded a bit from Evelyn Prentice:


#7 Jean Arthur (13%)
Maybe a scene from The More The Merrier? Or maybe the pig scene from Easy Living? Or maybe Jean just being funny in The talk of the town? I'll go with the discussion about percentages in Easy Living, I love when she says "You don't have to get mad just because you're so stupid"


#6  Ginger Rogers (12%)
There are hundreds of hilarious lines and moments from all the films she did with Fred, like the kiss scene from Swing Time. Ginger was so funny: maybe you love how she played a little girl in The Major and The Minor? Or her drunk scene from Stage Door? Or a funny remark from Bachelor Mother? Well, the one I chose was the catfight from Vivacious lady:


#5 (TIE) Katharine Hepburn (15%)
Again, too many funny scenes, from this one to this one. But one of my favorites is how she tries to prepare a breakfast in Woman of the Year:



#5 (TIE) Myrna Loy (15%)
I know you all have your favorite funny scene from Miss Loy. Maybe a witty line from "The Thin Man", maybe her instructions for painting the house in "Mr. Blandings build his dream house" or even her secondary role in the overall dull  Love me tonight. So I tried to choose a more unknown part, the scene where her character goes out with Clark Gable in Test Pilot (watch until they go to the cinema):


#4 Eve Arden (17%)
Wow, fourth position! I haven't seen her tv show,  but her secondary characters in Mildred Pierce, Cover Girl & One Touch of Venus were great. This clip is from the latter:


#3 (TIE) Rosalind Russell (19%)
Roz always makes me laugh. She was hilarious in The Women or practically every film she was in, from My sister Eileen to The Trouble with Angels, and obviously her performance as Hildy Johnson is one of the funniest ever. But I'm embedding a scene from Auntie Mame (when she hears the kid talking about drinks, she seems to be embarrassed but in the next second she makes a proud gesture with her face, lol):


#3 (TIE) Carole Lombard (19%)
She was so funny! I almost prefer her outtakes to the actual movies :) What did I choose? A clip from Mr. and Mrs. Smith? Or maybe from My Man Godfrey, Nothing Scared or To have and have not? No, the clip is Lombard pretending to be an annoying phone operator in Hand across the table:


# 2  Lucille Ball (37%)
Does she need any explanation? I couldn't decide what clip to choose, I had like a million in my head. One of my favorites is the Vitameatavegamin scene, but it was too long. I also love the restaurant scene with William Holden or every time she has problems with Spanish (that clip has one of the bests punch- lines ever : 'yeah, well that's what we're having'). Anyway, I finally picked this one:


#1  Irene Dunne (38%)
Finally the number one: Irene Dunne was just great at everything. Her comedies were hilarious and of course, my favorites are the ones she made with Cary Grant. In this clip from The awful truth she pretends to be an uneducated woman just to annoy Cary (my favorite part is when she says: 'don't anybody leave this room, I've lost my purse!')


And here's the official data:


 I'd love if you could leave a link to your favorite comedy scenes from these girls (or describe them) ^^

13 comments:

  1. Great post. Love all the actresses listed. I love Irene Dunne. She's so underrated. And Stanwyck was such a natural comic actress; it's a shame she didn't make more. Just watched "Christmas in Connecticut." She looks amazing in that film; great clothes by Edith Head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaa I knew it, I knew it!! And the winner is my Irene =D I am so proud of my Dunnie!!

    I think Claudette and Barbara deserved more votes, though!

    And my lovely Carole, aww 3rd place is not that bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Es una suerte encontrar en éste blog cosas cinéfilas tan interesantes que no ves en ningún otro.
    ¡ Me encantan ! ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, I'm so glad Rosalind got #3 (tied with Carole Lombard)! Just thought I'd say that first. I'd also like to say that Lucy is one of the funniest gals around... She deserved to be #2 :) And one of the lesser known ones, Una Merkel, is hilarious, too. The scene you chose from Evelyn Prentice is perfect. I think she stole the show in that movie... and Ginger's scene from "Vivacious Lady" always makes me burst into laughter!! Thanks for creating this poll, it was so fun!

    Also... I don't want to be annoying, but in your part about Una Merkel, it should be "Youtube doesn't do her justice."

    Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't notice the last sentence of your post :) I shall find one of my favorites of Roz's and if it isn't there, I'll upload it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to say I loved Ros Russel
    and Jean Arthur.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNNJ3WyOgQA

    I uploaded the Fox Hunt scene from "Auntie Mame" just for this occasion. Hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Much as I adore Eve Arden, who cannot be topped for a particular cynical wisecracking type she perfected, I'm thrilled Irene Dunne won.

    My favorite screwball comedy of all time is THE AWFUL TRUTH. It literally sparkles. She and Cary Grant together...matchless.

    As for Barbara Stanwyck...don't forget THE LADY EVE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. South Loop Connection: Yeah, "Christmas in Connecticut" is so entertaining! Miss Stanwyck is really funny in it! Thanks for stopping by :)

    Rena: Jaja, I knew you'd be glad :) And yeah, I thought Barbara/Claudette would get more votes too. Thanks for commenting :)

    Abril: GRACIAS!

    Desiree: I agree with you about Lucy & Roz! I love that scene from Evelyn Prentice too, Una is so funny! Oh, and Ginger is simply hilarious in that catfight scene, "ssshhh", LOL. I had fun doing this poll and the results were a bit different from what I expected and that's great :) And I love that hunting scene from Auntie Mame, with the fake fox and everything. Oh, changed the wrong sentence, THANK YOU so much, I really mean it.

    Yvonne: They're great!! Thanks for stopping by ^^

    The Lady Eve: The awful truth rocks all the way :) I don't know why but I always forget The Lady Eve, I need to re-watch it :) Thanks for commenting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're welcome! I know you appreciate it, but I still feel annoying when I do that. Ha :D I'm glad you like the scene I posted!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're welcome! I know you appreciate it, but I still feel annoying when I do that. Ha :D I'm glad you like the scene I posted!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's hard to say I loved Ros Russel
    and Jean Arthur.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aaaa I knew it, I knew it!! And the winner is my Irene =D I am so proud of my Dunnie!!

    I think Claudette and Barbara deserved more votes, though!

    And my lovely Carole, aww 3rd place is not that bad!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...